Random Post 2: Post Grad Plans

I'll be graduating from the University of Southern California on May 10, 2024, just a few short weeks away, with a B.A. in Public Relations and a minor in the Entertainment Industry. When I first got to USC, I was 100% sure that I would be staying out in Southern California and that I would live in LA post-grad and work at Warner Bros or a top talent agency like the Creative Artists Agency or William Morris Endeavor. Over time though, my feelings towards both LA and the industry have changed. Although I am a little melancholy at the thought of no longer living in sunny Southern California to move back home to the East Coast, I am happy with my decision because I feel in my heart that it is the right one.

I have gotten to experience my dreams that I have had since I was a child that not many people can say. I lived in Southern California, specifically LA, like I had always wanted to, attended my dream school in LA which just so happens to be the #1 school for entertainment and communications and a school that many people never thought that I would be able to get into. I interned with top public relations agencies and attended red carpets and worked with a plethora of celebrities; I even interned at NBCUniversal, and these experiences are something that I will never take for granted. A part of me still wants to work in entertainment, so there is the potential that in a year or two, I may move from my home in Massachusetts to live in Manhattan and try out entertainment again, maybe apply to work at CAA or WME or even something in the fashion and beauty realm. But for now, I know in my heart that I need to take a breather. I need to go back home to Massachusetts for a little bit, reflect, heal, and think about what I want for my future. Where I will work in Massachusetts for the time being, I am not quite sure, which I will admit gives me lots of anxiety. But I am going to attempt to go with the flow, manifest only positive outcomes and trust what path God is putting me on.

Maybe I will even try out grad school at somewhere like NYU, BU, UT Austin or UMiami to name a few. I truly have lots to think about. Like what kind of career I even want. Event planning, entertainment public relations, fashion public relations, marketing, advertising, social media... at the moment I am unsure but I always figure it out. I am very proud of how I always seem to come out on top and have a great outcome even when I am in the middle of uncertainty and anxiety; somehow I always make the best of it and I am successful.

Comments

  1. Hi Ashley! I have also been thinking of post grad plans recently, and it's made me realize how close I am to starting a new job and working for almost every day for the next few decades of my life. It's been a little bit scary thinking about it, but it's also made me realize that I want to take it a little slow. The constant work grind culture in college is so real, but I do want to slow down in the decisions I make. Whatever you do decide, though, I know you're going to do amazing! You still have a few weeks to think about it, but good luck in all of your future endeavors. I believe in you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, thank you for sharing! As a Sophomore who is very anxious about my future outside of college, this post made me feel not alone. I just switched my major to Business Administration, and I already feel I am behind the rest. I have learned to accept that everyone is on their own path, and we shouldn't compare ourselves journey to the journey's of everyone around us. We are still young and have plenty of time to figure it out! Much luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley!
    To be honest, I am pretty worried about post-grad myself. Even though I am graduating not too long from now (in the upcoming Fall), it still feels miles away. When I do think about it and how close I am to the finish-line, I start to worry about what I will do after graduation. Ironically, the person I was a few years ago would have no worries at all -- I knew exactly what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go and who I wanted to see everyday. Right now, I don't even know what I am doing next month let alone post-graduation. It's hard not to compare myself to peers who seem to have everything figured out. Recently, I've started to realize that we don't all have to follow the same path (even if we have the same major). Not everyone needs to follow the same exact trajectory, and that is perfectly ok. I'm also considering grad school as a potential option, but to be honest I am not completely sure about that either. Regardless of what the future has in store, I wish you the best with your upcoming endeavors and hope you have the restful break that you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ashley! I really liked how personal and relatable your post is - I think you perfectly encapsulated the feelings of many graduating seniors at this time of the year. Oftentimes (especially in our generation) it seems like everyone needs to have their "dream job" right after college or know exactly where their path is headed. I feel like we should all normalize exploring different paths and I commend your bravery for knowing yourself enough to make these hard decisions. I am currently on the pre-law path but even then I am excited for the possibility of pursuing other passions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ashley! I really enjoyed reading your post especially as I can relate to such very closely. As a current senior myself, I am feeling all the same emotions you are feeling. I liked how you elaborated more on you post grad plans and I do feel like switching it up and going back to the East Coast will be a good change for you. Overall great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment