Book 2, Post 2: Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core by Dr. Rick Hanson
Reading Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core by Dr. Rick Hanson has given me so much insight into the psychology of fear and anxiety, which I tend to have a lot of. Hansen explains how the fight or flight response originated from our ancestor's needing to be alert for what danger might be lurking unknowingly, they needed to be prepared to run and fight if a lion was hiding in the bushes to attack them. Nowadays, humans don't need to worry about things like that but the fight or flight response still comes in handy for many situations humans may face, like escaping a building if theres a fire or dodging a bullet. However, many people today are in constant fight or flight mode as anxiety, fear of judgment, and bad things happening are consuming people now more than ever. I am just now finally starting to heal and remedy my mind and body from being in constant fight or flight mode for what seemed like 24/7 for the last 10 years or so. A lot of what Hansen talks about are things that I already knew, but much of what he discusses affirms what I experienced in my life and how to go forth with fixing these issues and changing my life for the better.
Hansen talks about ways to heal yourself from traumas and train your brain to become more resilient. Many of the tips and advice he gave towards doing so were things I was already implementing but it affirmed that what I was doing would eventually work and to keep up with it and not simply give up because I'm not seeing results immediately. Some suggestions that Hansen gives to becoming more resilient are to get to the root of the problem and identify where your struggles are coming from, for instance, if you struggle with a lot of social anxiety, you would do a deep dive and think back on why you are so anxious in social situations when it all started, and think of what could have possibly caused this to come on. Think back to childhood and evaluate if there was anything that could have caused these anxious tendencies to arise.
It is also suggested to pick one strength that you would like to have more of that would be greatly beneficial in you in becoming more resilient. In my case, I needed to strengthen not being so fearful of judgment and what people think of me and I needed to become more confident in myself and my actions and place less importance on what others' opinions of me are. You are then supposed to seek opportunities that will help you build this strength every day. For me, I force myself to go out of my comfort zone. Forcing myself to be in uncomfortable situations has begun to rewire my brain into being comfortable in these situations which is leading me to become more resilient.
Hi Ashley!
ReplyDeleteI really like your reflection on "How to Grow an Unshakable Core" by Rick Hanson. You provide a great summary of the psychological and biological elements which subconsciously influence our minds. Additionally, sharing your own experiences about fear of judgement and the possible link to past trauma in relation to Hansen's ideas demonstrates your strong understanding and connection to this text. Your ability to share and be vulnerable with your fears is an amazing step outside of the comfort zone and shows your bravery and resilience in your writing! Overall, great post!
-PR
Hi Ashley! I also read this book so I really enjoyed reading your takeaways and also comparing them to mine. I love how you mentioned the aspect of overcoming trauma and other experiences one must heal from as a means of resilience - which I completely agree with. Overtime I've realized that a lot of my tendencies root from certain aspects of my childhood which I realize is something that I need to work on or even just reflect more on. I like how you described how you can improve in your last paragraph - it really puts the impact of this book into more context.
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI also found this book and its insights great about fear and anxiety. Dr. Hanson adeptly explains the evolution of the fight or flight response and tis relevance in contemporary life. This really shows how the nature of anxiety in modern society. Dr Hanson's guidance reassures the journey toward mental and emotional well being inspiring a path of growth and transformation. I really liked how you shared abut stepping out of your comfort zone and how this book could help you. Overall great post!
Hi Ashley! I really appreciate that you reflected on what you already knew and got affirmation through the book you read. The strategy of thinking back to the root of your anxiety is really interesting to me and something that I hadn’t really considered. It makes me think of how people often times spend a lot of time trying to remedy the effects of something without realizing that they are leaving the heart of the matter unresolved. I also overall really admire your willingness to be vulnerable and share your experience with the book’s topic. Great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley, thank you for sharing your personal reflection on how fear and anxiety have affected your life. It is interesting to think about how one event in our childhood can become the anchor event that spirals into lifelong trauma and self-defence response. So growing up is basically our journey to heal our inner child. I can relate to your constant feeling of anxiety. I tend to feel restless the moment my life slows down, triggering some kind of unknown fear that I am not doing enough or being valuable enough. I wonder if this is related to what you mentioned about our ancestors’ survival instinct. If we stop moving, we will get outcompeted in nature by superior beings.
ReplyDelete